III-V semiconductor nanowires (NW) are especially suited for use in nanoelectronic applications thanks to well-established techniques to integrate them in nanodevices. NWs offer enormous possibilities for axial and radial heterostructure design which are unattainable in bulk and thin films and allows for band-gab tunability. While working at Lund University I have explored some of them experimentally [Thin Solid Films 515 793 (2006)] and theoretically [Phys Rev B 75, 245121 (2007)]. I have also shown that by decreasing the radial dimension of the NWs down to 25 nm quantum confinement features are visible in the emission spectrum [J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, 295219 (2007)]. These kind of findings are currently exploited to grow advanced III-V heterostructures.
I am the first-principle expert in an on-going collaboration with Prof. J. Johansson (Lund University) aiming at the understanding and control of the NW growth process. I have developed a novel first principles method to model the polar interface between InAs and GaAs. This result was crucial to explain theoretically the optimal growth mode of straight InAs-on-GaAs NW heterostructures [Nano Lett. 11(9) 3899–3905 (2011)].
- J. Z. Zhao, W. Fan, M. J. Verstraete, Z. Zanolli, J. Fan, X. B. Yang, H. Xu, and S. Y. Tong, Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 239602 (2017)
- J. Zhao, W. Fan, M. J. Verstraete, Z. Zanolli, J. Fan, X. B. Yang, H. Xu, S. Y. Tong Quasi-One-Dimensional Metal-Insulator Transitions in Compound Semiconductor Surfaces,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 116101 (2016)
- J. Johansson, Z. Zanolli, K. A. Dick,
Polytype attainability in III-V semiconductor nanowires,
Crystal Growth & Design, DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.5b01339 (2015)
- M. Ghasemi, Z. Zanolli, M. Stankovski, J. Johansson,
Size- and shape-dependent phase diagram of In-Sb nano-alloys,
Nanoscale 7, 17387-17396 (2015)
- M. E. Messing, J. Wong-Leung, Z. Zanolli, H. J. Joyce, H. Hoe Tan, Q. Gao, L. R. Wallenberg, J. Johansson, and J. Chennupati
Growth of straight InAs–on–GaAs nanowire heterostructures
Nano Letters, 11 (9), 3899–3905 (2011)
- Z. Zanolli, F. Fuchs, J. Furthmüller, U. von Barth, and F. Bechstedt
Model GW band structure of InAs and GaAs in the wurtzite phase.
Phys. Rev. B 75, 245121 (2007)
- Z. Zanolli, M-E Pistol, L.E. Fröberg, and L. Samuelson
Quantum confinement effects in InAs-InP core-shell nanowires.
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, 295219 (2007)
- Z. Zanolli, B.A. Wacaser, W. Seifert, K. Deppert, and L. Samuelson
Core-shell InP-CdS nanowires: fabrication and study.
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, 295218 (2007)
- B.A. Wacaser, K.A. Dick, Z. Zanolli, A. Gustafsson, K. Deppert, and L. Samuelson
Size-selected compound semiconductor quantum dots by nanoparticle conversion,
Nanotechnology 18, 105306 (2007).
- Z. Zanolli, L.E. Fröberg, M.T. Björk, M-E Pistol, and L. Samuelson
Fabrication, optical characterization and modeling of strained core-shell nanowires.
Thin Solid Films, 515, pp. 793-796 (2006).